Print this page

Martello Towers

Martello Towers, NHS and UNESCO World Heritage List, Kingston, Ontario

In response to the Oregon Crisis of the 1840s the British made extensive improvements to the harbour defenses of Kingston, Ontario. In 1846-48 four Martello towers were constructed ringing the Kingston harbour. The four towers along with Fort Henry are National Historic Sites and are also on the UNESCO World Heritage List. Craig is currently working with heritage engineers John G. Cook and Associates Ltd. For the Murney, Shoal and Cathcart towers Craig is responsible for the conservation treatment of the wood doors and windows, as well as the wrought iron shutters and doors.

 

This is the Shoal tower as it looked c1900.

 

These details are from the original Board of ordnance drawings for the towers and show the still extant wrought iron shutters for the gun ports.

 

These details are from the original Board of ordnance drawings for the towers and show the still extant wrought iron doors which lead to the caponiers.


Previous page: Hopedale Mission
Next page: Mount Royal Club