Print this page

Laurier House

Laurier House, (1875) Ottawa (National Historic Site)

  

Responsibilities involved a condition survey, as-found package, working drawings, specifications, site review and maintenance guidelines for restoration and thermal upgrade of original wood double hung windows and steel and leaded windows in this restored house museum. This was the home of two former Prime Ministers - Sir Wilfred Laurier and William Lyon Mackenzie King. Consultant to Public Works and Government Services Canada for Parks Canada.

  

laurier.jpg

  

Although originally built in 1875 the house was ‘modernized’ in the 1920’s by Mackenzie King.

  

lhsteel.gif

  

A detail showing one of the 1920’s steel windows with restoration nearly completed.

  

lhbefore.jpg

  

A typical wood window before restoration showing failing paint, weathered wood and failing putty.

  

lhwood.jpg

  

The same window frame restored immediately prior to reinstalling the sashes.


Previous page: Emma Willard School
Next page: St. George’s Cathedral