Print this page

Knaut-Rhuland House

The Knaut-Rhuland House, National Historic Site, Lunenburg, NS (1793)

This timber frame house was built in 1793 for a prosperous merchant. It combines the simplicity of the early colonial period with the formal late Classical Revival period. Typical of buildings of such age it is an evolved building and shows a number of early architectural changes. However, the interior is marvellously intact and contains most of the original trim, doors, windows and chimney pieces. This autumn Craig will be part of a multi-disciplinary team undertaking a Historic Structures Report on the building.

 

Much of the clapboard is original but most of the exterior trim appears to date from the mid-19th C.

 

This is the original dining room chimney piece - the doors and trim are original, too. 

 

The most sophisticated room in the house is this parlour on the second floor.

 


Previous page: West Block
Next page: North Perimeter Wall