Print this page

Fort Henry

Fort Henry (1832-40), Kingston, Ontario

Fort Henry, "The Citadel of Upper Canada", was part of a series of defenses placed around Kingston harbour where the Rideau Canal, Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River meet. It was built in the 1830s and 1840s to replace earlier fortifications dating from the War of 1812. The fort and associated defences including the Rideau Canal are National Historic Sites have recently been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Craig is currently working with John G. Cooke & Associates Engineering on the restoration of the Redoubt.  He is responsible for the conservation of exterior doorways, windows, copper clad shutters and wrought iron shutters, bars, hardware and railings

 

This is a partial view of the Redoubt dated 1867.

 

This is a partial view of the Redoubt showing its current appearance.

 

This is one of the preliminary details for the conservation of the iron railings.

 

The bars on some windows at the Gallery level were installed as a welcoming to prisoners captured in the 1837 Rebellion.

 

Another recent project was to undertake a historic structures report on the Storekeeper's House. It had always been assumed that this was a Victorian building but a careful analysis of the historic fabric, in combination with selective demolition, revealed that there was a c1840 building encapsulated within. Planning is currently underway to repurpose the building for offices.

 

The store keeper's house as it currently appears.

  

  

The physical evidence indicates that the original portion of the building was once configured thus.

  

  

The ordnance yard and store keeper's house as they appeared around the time of the Great War.

  

A previous project at Fort Henry involved a study and report on the enlisted mens' beds. The intention was to identify which beds were original and which were reproductions. Of more than 100 beds, four were determined to be original dating likely to the mid 19th C.

  

The iron beds under study were of this exact type.

  

Prior to that, an earlier project at Fort Henry was to undertake a historic structures report for both the east and west ditch towers. These towers were originally constructed in the mid-1840s to protect approaches to the Fort and Kingston harbour. The purpose of the study was to identify original components and features so that measures could be taken to protect and conserve these items before masonry restoration work begins.

pict0465.gif

  

The east side of Fort Henry as seen from Royal Military 
College;   the west ditch tower is in the foreground.   

  

Fort Henry East Tower

  

The east ditch tower after restoration.

  

Ditch Tower

  

Historic Structures Report for the Fort Henry Ditch Towers

 

As a member of the Heritage Conservation Directorate Team, Public Works and Government Services Canada, Craig was responsible for a condition survey, analysis, design guidelines and cost estimates for the conservation of all architectural components throughout the fort including wrought iron railings and hardware, windows, doors and chimneys.

forthenredoubt1890.jpg

  

A partial view of the parade square within the redoubt about 1890. 
The structure to the right with the collapsed roof was a magazine.

  

forthenadvbat.jpg

  

The commissariat stores as they look present day.

  

forthenstrphing.jpg

  

Detail showing an original signed, hand forged strap hinge with a fish tail finial.


Previous page: Current Projects
Next page: Supreme Court of Canada