Print this page

Cumberland Heritage Village Museum

Cumberland Heritage Village Museum, Cumberland, Ontario.


This living history museum is comprised of 28 buildings and interprets what life was like in Cumberland Township in the 1930’s. Initially the project involved studying the buildings and preparing a Heritage Integrity Study to better prioritize maintenance and restoration efforts. Restoration projects began in 2006. Note that the historic photographs that appear in this section are from the Cumberland Museum collection.




The first project involved the restoration of the entire building envelope of the Watson Garage. Analysis of historic photographs and some selective stripping and probing indicated that the original roof was rolled asphalt. However, the new was done in modified bitumen to match the original appearance but to improve the performance. Restoration of the remaining building envelope features, i.e., windows, doors and siding, was completed the following year.




Details from the tender package showing flashing details for the false front.


Cumbrland Auto Repair


This photo shows the entire envelope restored and the original paint colours duplicated based on analysis of samples


The next project was the restoration of Knox Presbyterian Church built originally at the turn of the last century. The work included the restoration of the main entrance including the replication of the original paint colours and the replication of the original grained finish on the doors, the restoration of all windows, as well as addressing all exterior wood work and a new pressed metal roof on the bell tower.


main entrance before


This is the main entrance before restoration.


main entrance ater


This is the main entrance after restoration.
The doors were completely disassembled and rebuilt.
The grained finish is a replication of the original finish.




A side view of the restored church showing the new pressed metal roof on the bell tower.


Work on the Duford House involved the replication of an early verandah based on historic photos and physical evidence remaining on the front wall.



One of the historic photographs used to inform the design for the verandah.



The Duford House as it recently looked. Originally, a log house built in the mid 19th C., it is restored to its appearance in the 1930s.



Working drawings for the missing verandah.




The Duford House with the reconstructed verandah.


The restoration work on the French Hill school addressed building envelope issues including windows and exterior wood work.



Historic photographs provided information on missing elements and on how the original windows operated.



The school as it looked before restoration.



Working drawings showing repairs to exterior wood work and work to windows.




An interior view of the restored windows - the original operation was that only the upper sash was counter balanced.


Restoration work on the Foubert House addressed building envelope issues including a new pressed metal roof, new wood shingle siding, restoration of windows and doors, as well as the replication of a verandah based on historic images.



The Foubert House as it looked before restoration.



The house as it looked about 1920.



Examples of working drawings used to guide the work.




The Foubert House with restored shingle siding, a new pressed metal roof, a restored verandah, and original finishes replicated.


The restoration of the Vars train station will also be largely a building envelope project that addresses exterior wood work, windows, doors and the replication of historic paint colours based on analysis of samples from the building.



The station as it currently appears.



The station as it appeared during its working days.



Details from drawings prepared to guide the restoration work.


Previous page: Former U.S. Embassy
Next page: Fulford House